Does your Sims 2 family need a baby girl? The game has a built-in method you can use to make SURE you have a girl. But I’ll also show you how to use cheats if you’re really impatient, as the non-cheat version can be a little tedious. Unfortunately, there is no way to influence the gender of an unborn baby without cheating as there is in later iterations of the game.
So, how do you have a baby girl in The Sims 2? There are two different ways. You can exit the lot without saving after the birth sequence plays, use the tombstone of life and death on a male Sim (which basically creates an opposite-gender clone of the Sim). These are the only two ways currently possible to influence the baby’s gender.
Let’s take a look at how you can use these methods to have your own baby girl.
Exit the Lot
The easiest way requires some patience. You’ll need to save the game while your Sim is pregnant but before she (or he) gives birth. If you can, save just before your Sim goes into labor. You can even save after the Sim starts going through the labor animation – as long as it’s before you get the pop-up that says “a new baby is on the way.”
If the baby born is a boy and you want it to be a girl, exit the lot without saving after the birth sequence plays. When you reload the lot, you’ll have a 50 percent chance of having a girl. You may need to repeat this several times before a baby girl is born.
The number of babies is determined at conception in The Sims 2, but the gender is determined at birth. If your Sim has twins, you’ll continue to have twins each time the lot is loaded, but each twin’s gender can be changed by exiting and reloading after birth.
Warning: If you save the game after your Sim gives birth, you won’t be able to change the gender of the baby. Your only option then is to load an earlier back-up of your game (if you have one) or change the child’s gender in Sim PE.
Tombstone of Life & Death
If you don’t want to save and reload the game – possibly multiple times – you can also use the tombstone of life and death. This is a cheat you can use by following these steps:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + C to open the cheat console.
- Enter “boolprop testingcheatsenabled true” without the quotes and press enter to enable cheats.
- In live mode, shift-click on a Sim. A menu will appear. Choose Spawn > Tombstone of Life and Death.
- Now, make sure your MALE Sim is selected. You can only get a guaranteed baby girl by impregnating the male Sim with himself. (I know, it sounds really creepy.)
- Click on the tombstone with your male Sim selected. Choose “Simulate genetic merger with…” and then choose your male Sim’s name. He is now pregnant.
- Turn off testing cheats by opening the cheat console again and entering “boolprop testingcheatsenabled false” without the quotes.
- Wait for the baby to be born. It will be a girl clone of your male Sim.
Warning: The tombstone produces an opposite-gender clone of the pregnant Sim. This is how the developers made Brandi Broke pregnant with her unborn child – which is why he looks exactly like her and is always born a boy. If you really want your baby girl to have the genetics of both parents, don’t use this cheat.
If you can’t wait to see your new baby, you can speed up the pregnancy by using the Sim Blender. Click on the blender, choose Pregnancy > Male Sim’s Name > Accelerate Pregnancy. Your baby girl will be born in just a few hours instead of a few days.
When a male Sim gives birth after becoming pregnant with the Tombstone of Life and Death, the alien baby birth animation will play, even if the baby is human.
Setting Family Relationships
There’s one more caveat to using this cheat. The baby will not be related to the other parent in the family tree. This is fine if you have a single parent Sim. But if you want two parents to show up in the family tree, you’ll need to either use a mod or change the family relationship in Sim PE. I find it easiest to use the Sim Blender.
With the other parent selected, click on the Sim Blender, then choose Family > Baby’s Name > Set as my Child.
This method will not add a memory of having the child for the second parent. If this bothers you, use the Memory Manipulator mod to add the memory or add it in Sim PE if you’re comfortable with the program.
Myths & Rumors
There are several myths and rumors about different ways to influence or select a baby’s gender in The Sims 2. These are NOT TRUE and DO NOT WORK. Here are the methods you shouldn’t waste your time with:
- Eating gelatin during pregnancy does NOT increase chances of having a girl.
- It doesn’t matter which Sim initiates woohoo. Having the female Sim initiate does NOT increase the chances of having a girl.
- The cheat “boolprop force[gender] 100” is fake and does NOT work.
- The day of the week that a Sim becomes pregnant does NOT matter.
There is currently no existing cheat, mod or hack to force a specific gender. The only options are the Tombstone of Life and Death or exiting and reloading until you get the gender you want. As I explained above, the chances of having either a boy or girl are about 50 percent each time.
If I really need a girl baby for story purposes, I prefer to use the exit and reload method so that both parents retain their family ties and memories without any extra work. The method that works best for you will just depend on your play style and what you want to achieve. Good luck!