This is my Sims 4 recommended mods list for improved game play. These are the mods I use along with my gameplay rules to achieve my specific play style.
Please note, some of these mods may not be fully updated to the current game patch, depending on when you’re visiting this page. Always double-check to make sure they’re updated before downloading or they may not work as intended.
Tip: I recommend organizing your mods by creator, as this makes updating easier. You can just check each creator’s website for updates when a new expansion or patch is released.
LAST UPDATE: 11/09/2020 – Added Shorter University Degrees mod.
Table of Contents
- Essential Mods
- Aspiration Mods
- Build/Buy Mods
- Business Mods
- Environment Mods
- Finance Mods
- Fix & Overhaul Mods
- Hobby & Skill Mods
- Miscellaneous Mods
- Pregnancy Mods
- Romance & Relationship Mods
- User Interface (UI) Mods
- University Mods
- Sims 4 Tools
Although I play with all the mods on this list, there are a few I could not EVER play without. These are my must-have mods for Sims 4.
- Contextual Social Interactions – I use the main mod and the cheating module; adds new social interactions only available when a certain event happens (such as cheating), and makes the event affect other Sims if they’re told about them.
- Have Some Personality Please – Adds more personality to your Sims. For example, romance Sims are more likely to do romantic interactions and mean Sims are more likely to do mean interactions. Removes idle chat and makes several other improvements.
- Meaningful Stories – a mod pack that redesigns the mood and emotions system of The Sims 4. This collection of changes big and small aims to allow your sims to feel more human, to make the events in their lives feel more meaningful, and to turn managing their lives into a more interesting challenge.
- MC Command Center – This is Master Controller for Sims 4. Click here to see my MCCC settings and/or import them into your game.
- Whim Overhaul – This is an overhaul of the EA whim system which enhances the chances for family based whims and tunes down whims to buy new stuff. Special whims for: pregnancy, elder life stage, childhood phases, etc.
- UI Cheats Extension – Allows you to click on the UI and enter cheats directly. Example: Click on simoleons and change the amount. Click on relationship bars to change relationships, etc.
These are my favorite mods to add new aspirations to the game or improve the ones we already have.
- Get to Work Active Career Aspirations – Adds career-based aspirations for the active careers from Get to Work (Doctor, Scientist, Detective, plus an extra – Frankenstein).
- Grow up Aspiration – Adds the “grow up” aspiration for children from The Sims 2.
These mods impact the in-game build and buy modes.
- Brighter Foundations – Brightens foundations and fixes the issue of them being too dark and their colors never matching anything else.
These mods impact business and retail in the game. I play with a LOT of retail shops and that requires a lot of mods to make it work how I want it.
- Live in Business – Adds home business capability. Also has many useful add-ons including “send to inventory” that allows crafted items to go to inventory when purchased by a non-played Sim instead of being destroyed, and “set fish for sale.”
- Mannequin Uncapper – Increases the number of mannequins you can have on a retail lot.
- Retail Overhaul – Allows you to hire certain employees for retail stores including other playables and Sims from your own household.
These mods change or modify the game environment in some way.
- Cube Map Remover – Removes the white square cube maps that give the game objects weird and unattractive reflections.
- Into the Light – Lighting mod that removes blue auras from around Sims and helps them blend into the world better.
- Out of the Dark – Lighting mod that improves indoor lighting, especially at night. Use together with Into the Light for the best experience.
- 50% Lower Career Salaries – Reduces the career salaries by 50% (including the money bonuses when getting a promotion). I also use the lower payments for freelancers mod.
- LittleMsSam’s ATM Cards & Credit – I use the ATM machines in my banks. They allow your Sim to apply for credit. Compatible with the SNB mods below.
- SNB & SNB Bills – Creates an extensive financial/banking system similar to real life including bank accounts, direct deposit, bill pay, property tax, rent, and more! The Bills mod makes you setup your utilities when moving in and you have to pay a deposit just like IRL! I also use the SNB Financial Center Lot Trait that allows you to create realistic banks for your Sims.
Fix & Overhaul Mods
These mods fix some annoyances with the unmodded game or overhaul existing systems to make them better. Not listed are ALL the mods by Bienchenmods. I use a lot of their mods, so please check out the website and see which ones appeal to you. There are too many to list here.
- Age Behavior Tweaks Part 2 (More Arguments) – Improves the behavior of different ages. For example, children will no longer autonomously do dishes and elders will not browse their phones, preferring to read. Plus, adds more types of arguments for Sims to have.
- Books Fixes & Edits – Gives books their proper covers when displayed and books lacking a display will now have one. Useful if you run Sim-owned bookstores.
- Complete Cooking Overhaul – Allows your Sims to go grocery shopping and purchase ingredients for cooking meals plus so much more (cookbooks, more realistic ingredients, custom recipes.
- Mortem – Overhauls the death system and makes it more realistic. No more vanishing corpses – your Sims must handle the body and everything that comes with death (funeral services, condolence visits, etc).
- Simulation Lag Fix – This mod alters the game’s time speeds so that sim autonomy does not cause massive simulation lag in instances where there are many autonomy requests.
- Simulation Unclogger – Detects when a Sim causes the simulation to get stuck, rendering the game unplayable, and attempts to fix it.
- Walkby Overhaul – Restricts townies to their home town, at least partially, so that, for example, you will only see Willow Creek residents walking around in Willow Creek
- Waste Manager Rework – The game will now generate a service sim, like the mailman, that will come empty your garbage cans every Monday and Thursday, at around 6 A.M. I also use the optional mod to add the recycle lot trait to all residential lots by default so garbage pickup happens on every lot.
Hobby & Skill Mods
These mods impact hobbies and skills – like woodworking or handiness – in the game.
- Woodworking Table Rework + No Autonomous – Increases time it takes to craft items and increases their retail price, plus stops Sims from autonomously using the table.
- More Woodworks – Adds the ability to craft more items and furniture from the woodworking table. I use this mod so my carpenter can sell more useful items in his shop, but it’s also nice if you want to furnish a home using only what your Sim builds.
These are mods that don’t fit into any other category.
- Basemental’s Alcohol – Sims get drunk and have hangovers. Place a bouncer on bar lots and teens who try to drink will be asked for ID. Teens can buy fake IDs. Bouncers tell your Sims to leave if they get too drunk.
- Bookshelf Edits – Bookshelves come EMPTY with no free books and Sims cannot purchase books through them. I like my Sims to visit the bookstore to purchase books.
- Celebrities Quarantined to Del Sol Valley – No more celebrities or infected Strangerville Sims showing up in other worlds.
- Less Frequent Surprise Holidays – Reduces the appearance of the annoying surprise holidays.
- Lock Door for Chosen Sims – Allows you to lock or unlock doors for specific Sims. Very helpful for businesses as you can lock doors for everyone but employees.
- More Club Activities – Adds herbalism, practice archaeology, collecting, and many more. I use these for my club system.
- No City Living or Island Living Names – Sims are no longer spawned with names from these expansion packs.
- NPCC & NPCC Retail – Allows you more control over NPCs in the game, such as how many are generated and which Sims are used for roles.
- NPCs Fuck Off – Stops NPCs from interrupting and initiating conversations with playable Sims.
- Purchase Custom Seeds – Allows you to purchase seed packets for custom harvestables from garden planters or computers.
- Slob Sims NOT Uncomfortable with Low Hygiene – Sims with the slob trait will no longer get the uncomfortable buff for low hygiene.
- Transfer Inventory – Allows you to move all items from your inventory into the refrigerator with one interaction (instead of individual stacks).
These mods impact pregnancy in the game.
- Miscarriage Chance – Adds a chance of miscarriage, death, infertility, with several options and add-ons to choose from.
- Woohoo Wellness and Pregnancy Overhaul Mod – Adds pregnancy wishes and preferences (some Sims may not want to get pregnant), birth control and condoms, interactions and reactions matching a Sim’s pregnancy wishes, termination of pregnancy (optional). I only use Part 1 of this mod.
Romance & Relationships Mods
These mods impact romance and relationships in the game.
- NEW IR Cheating – An overhaul of the game’s jealousy system making it better and adding more depth. This mod requires XML Injector.
- Social Interactions Autonomy Mod – Improves the social interactions in the game, especially between exes and enemies.
- Wonderful Whims – Offers plenty of social, relationship, and pregnancy enhancements in forms of Attractiveness, Impressions, Personality Archetypes, Menstrual Cycle, Birth Control and many more. It’s wicked whims without the “wicked” parts. I love the realism this adds to my game, especially the “attraction.” Now you will know who your Sim is attracted to. Disable any parts you don’t like. See my review of this mod here.
User Interface (UI) Mods
These are mods that change or modify the game’s user interface.
- Expandable Build/Buy Catalog – This mod allows you to expand the catalog in build and buy mode like you could in Sims 2 and 3.
- More CAS Columns – Allows for more columns in CAS. I use the 4 column version, but there is also a 3- and 5-column version.
These mods impact the University experience in some way.
- Shorter University Degrees – Makes university degrees require less credits to graduate.
- University Required Degree for Promotions – Sims can take a job in any career but can only advance so far without the correct degree.
Sims 4 Tools
These are not really mods, but various tools and programs I use to improve my gameplay.
- World Renamer Tool – Allows you to rename the worlds to anything you like. Requires using Sims 4 Studio.
As always, please let me know if you find any broken links or mods that have been removed and I will update the list.