This is my Sims 4 recommended mods list for improved game play. These are the mods I use along with my gameplay rules to achieve my specific play style.
Please note, some of these mods may not be fully updated to the current game patch, depending on when you’re visiting this page. Always double-check to make sure they’re updated before downloading or they may not work as intended.
Tip: I recommend organizing your mods by creator, as this makes updating easier. You can just check each creator’s website for updates when a new expansion or patch is released.
LAST UPDATE: 01/12/2021 – I am no longer playing Sims 4, so it’s unlikely I will update this post in the future. Most of the mods on this list should remain useful, but they may require updates.
Table of Contents
- Essential Mods
- Aspiration Mods
- Autonomy Mods
- Build/Buy Mods
- Club Mods
- Environment Mods
- Finance Mods
- Fix & Overhaul Mods
- Hobby & Skill Mods
- Lifestyles & Sentiments Mods
- Miscellaneous Mods
- Pregnancy Mods
- Realm of Magic Mods
- Retail Mods
- Retired Mods
- Romance & Relationship Mods
- User Interface (UI) Mods
- University Mods
- Default Replacements
- Sims 4 Tools
Although I play with all the mods on this list, there are a few I could not EVER play without. These are my must-have mods for Sims 4.
- Have Some Personality Please – Adds more personality to your Sims. For example, romance Sims are more likely to do romantic interactions and mean Sims are more likely to do mean interactions. Removes idle chat and makes several other improvements.
- Meaningful Stories – a mod pack that redesigns the mood and emotions system of The Sims 4. This collection of changes big and small aims to allow your sims to feel more human, to make the events in their lives feel more meaningful, and to turn managing their lives into a more interesting challenge.
- MC Command Center – This is Master Controller for Sims 4. Click here to see my MCCC settings and/or import them into your game.
- Quicker Sim Autonomy & Simulation Lag Improvements – You will need an account at Sims Asylum to download this mod. I use this instead of the Simulation Lag Fix because I find it works better in my game. I use the TS33(Default) version.
- Simulation Unclogger – Detects when a Sim causes the simulation to get stuck, rendering the game unplayable, and attempts to fix it.
- Whim Overhaul – This is an overhaul of the EA whim system which enhances the chances for family based whims and tunes down whims to buy new stuff. Special whims for: pregnancy, elder life stage, childhood phases, etc.
- UI Cheats Extension – Allows you to click on the UI and enter cheats directly. Example: Click on simoleons and change the amount. Click on relationship bars to change relationships, etc.
Aspiration & Trait Mods
These are my favorite mods to add new aspirations and traits to the game or improve the ones we already have.
- Get to Work Active Career Aspirations – Adds career-based aspirations for the active careers from Get to Work (Doctor, Scientist, Detective, plus an extra – Frankenstein).
- Grow up Aspiration – Adds the “grow up” aspiration for children from The Sims 2.
- New Emotional Traits – Adds several new emotional traits to the game. I do not use the extreme versions. I only use calm, insecure, oblivious, restless.
- New Hobby Traits – Adds several new hobby traits to the game including artisan, movie buff, and tinkerer.
- New Spa Day Traits – Adds two new traits to the game for Spa Day – health nut and high maintenance.
These mods affect autonomy in the game. It’s one of the biggest problems in The Sims 4, and these mods can make the game much more enjoyable.
- Age Behavior Tweaks Part 2 (More Arguments) – Improves the behavior of different ages. For example, children will no longer autonomously do dishes and elders will not browse their phones, preferring to read. Plus, adds more types of arguments for Sims to have.
- Grab Wine or Beer from the Fridge – Sims will autonomously grab wine or beer from the fridge sometimes.
- No Autonomous Cooking – Stops your Sims from cooking meals autonomously, but they can still grab quick meals when they’re hungry.
- Parenthood Autonomous Traits Interactions – Makes interactions from parenthood traits autonomous.
- Social Interactions Autonomy Mod – Improves the social interactions in the game, especially between exes and enemies.
These mods impact the in-game build and buy modes.
- Brighter Foundations – Brightens foundations and fixes the issue of them being too dark and their colors never matching anything else.
These mods affect the club system that came with the Get to Work expansion pack.
- Custom Club Activities – Adds a ton of new club activities. I like the ROM additions such as practice magic and read magic tomes, but it adds stuff for all expansions.
- More Club Activities – Adds herbalism, practice archaeology, collecting, and many more. I use these for my club system.
These mods change or modify the game environment in some way.
- Cube Map Remover – Removes the white square cube maps that give the game objects weird and unattractive reflections.
- Into the Light – Lighting mod that removes blue auras from around Sims and helps them blend into the world better.
- Out of the Dark – Lighting mod that improves indoor lighting, especially at night. Use together with Into the Light for the best experience.
- 50% Lower Salaries – Reduces the career salaries by 50% for all expansions up to Discover University.
- 50% Lower Salaries for Eco Lifestyle and Snowy Escape – Reduces career salaries for Civil Designer and Salaryperson careers.
- LittleMsSam’s ATM Cards & Credit – I use the ATM machines in my banks. They allow your Sim to apply for credit. Compatible with the SNB mods below.
- SNB & SNB Bills – Creates an extensive financial/banking system similar to real life including bank accounts, direct deposit, bill pay, property tax, rent, and more! The Bills mod makes you setup your utilities when moving in and you have to pay a deposit just like IRL! I also use the SNB Financial Center Lot Trait that allows you to create realistic banks for your Sims.
Fix & Overhaul Mods
These mods fix some annoyances with the unmodded game or overhaul existing systems to make them better. Not listed are ALL the mods by Bienchenmods. I use a lot of her small fix mods, so please check out the website and see which ones appeal to you. There are too many to list here.
- Books Fixes & Edits – Gives books their proper covers when displayed and books lacking a display will now have one. Useful if you run Sim-owned bookstores.
- Complete Cooking Overhaul – Allows your Sims to go grocery shopping and purchase ingredients for cooking meals plus so much more (cookbooks, more realistic ingredients, custom recipes.
- Eat & Drink Faster – Increases the speed at which your Sims eat and drink, plus makes them prefer tables for eating.
- Sim Spawn Overhaul – Restricts townies to their home town so you will only see Willow Creek residents walking around in Willow Creek, etc. Has other options too. I use all of them for the best experience.
- Snow Accumulation Fix – Maxis broke the Snow Accumulation in all worlds but the new one (Snowy Escape). This fixes it.
- Waste Manager Rework – The game will now generate a service sim, like the mailman, that will come empty your garbage cans every Monday and Thursday, at around 6 A.M. I also use the optional mod to add the recycle lot trait to all residential lots by default so garbage pickup happens on every lot.
Hobby & Skill Mods
These mods impact hobbies and skills – like woodworking or handiness – in the game.
- Woodworking Table Rework + No Autonomous – Increases time it takes to craft items and increases their retail price, plus stops Sims from autonomously using the table.
- More Woodworks – Adds the ability to craft more items and furniture from the woodworking table. I use this mod so my carpenter can sell more useful items in his shop, but it’s also nice if you want to furnish a home using only what your Sim builds.
Lifestyle & Sentiments Mods
These mods tweak the lifestyle and sentiments systems to make them more realistic and fun to play.
- No Hurt or Grudge for Toddlers – Just as it sounds, stops toddlers from getting hurt or grudge sentiments.
- Reduced Random Positive Moodlets from Sentiments – As the title says, reduces the random positive moodlets Sims get from sentiments.
- Outdoorsy and Indoorsy Lifestyles Tweak – Makes this lifestyle make sense. The criteria in the vanilla game is ridiculous.
These are mods that don’t fit into any other category.
- Basemental’s Alcohol – Sims get drunk and have hangovers. Place a bouncer on bar lots and teens who try to drink will be asked for ID. Teens can buy fake IDs. Bouncers tell your Sims to leave if they get too drunk.
- Bookshelf Edits – Bookshelves come EMPTY with no free books and Sims cannot purchase books through them. I like my Sims to visit the bookstore to purchase books.
- Contextual Social Interactions – I use the main mod and the cheating module; adds new social interactions only available when a certain event happens (such as cheating), and makes the event affect other Sims if they’re told about them.
- Flea Market Appears Every Sunday – Makes the flea market festival appear in town every single Sunday instead of every other Sunday.
- Less Frequent Surprise Holidays – Reduces the appearance of the annoying surprise holidays.
- Lock Door for Chosen Sims – Allows you to lock or unlock doors for specific Sims. Very helpful for businesses as you can lock doors for everyone but employees.
- Mean Slap – Adds a new interaction to the “mean” category – the same animation as slap ’em silly.
- No Chatter Clutter – Reduces the clutter of the “Friendly” pie menu, removing unnecessary interactions.
- No City Living or Island Living Names – Sims are no longer spawned with names from these expansion packs.
- NPCs Fuck Off – Stops NPCs from interrupting and initiating conversations with playable Sims.
- Purchase Custom Seeds – Allows you to purchase seed packets for custom harvestables from garden planters or computers.
- Quick Shower/Bath – Get the optional no-towel add-on if you don’t want your Sims walking around in towels all the time.
- Slob Sims NOT Uncomfortable with Low Hygiene – Sims with the slob trait will no longer get the uncomfortable buff for low hygiene.
- Transfer Inventory – Allows you to move all items from your inventory into the refrigerator with one interaction (instead of individual stacks).
These mods impact pregnancy in the game.
- Miscarriage Chance – Adds a chance of miscarriage, death, infertility, with several options and add-ons to choose from.
- Woohoo Wellness and Pregnancy Overhaul Mod – Adds pregnancy wishes and preferences (some Sims may not want to get pregnant), birth control and condoms, interactions and reactions matching a Sim’s pregnancy wishes, termination of pregnancy (optional). I only use Part 1 of this mod.
Realm of Magic Mods
These mods tweak aspects of the game from Realm of Magic – spells, spellcasters, etc.
- Spellcaster Tweaks – Tweaks several aspects of casting spells and learning them in Realm of Magic. This makes playing a Spellcaster more challenging and entertaining.
- Untamed Magic is Untamed – Makes the untamed spells Inferniate, Chillo and ZipZap deadly.
These mods impact the game’s retail system that came with the Get to Work expansion.
- Mannequin Uncapper – Increases the number of mannequins you can have on a retail lot.
- Ring Up Customers at Register – Your Sims now ring up customers at the register instead of using the tablets (can still use tablets if you want).
- Retail Overhaul – Must-have for retail play. Allows you to hire certain employees including the store owner and Sims from your own household. Also makes your employees actually work!
- Retail Shoppers Keep Stuff They Bought – Sims now keep the items they buy from your store owner. It will be in their inventory when you play them next.
These are mods I have used before, but I’m no longer using in my current gameplay. I am leaving them here in case anyone sees them in old videos or streams and still wants them.
- Simulation Lag Fix – This mod alters the game’s time speeds so that sim autonomy does not cause massive simulation lag in instances where there are many autonomy requests. NOTE: I now use a simulation lag fix from a different creator that works better for me personally, but this is still a good mod!
- Mortem – Overhauls the death system and makes it more realistic. No more vanishing corpses – your Sims must handle the body and everything that comes with death (funeral services, condolence visits, etc). NOTE: I found this to be too fussy and expensive for my Sims, especially when I’m playing a legacy challenge. It’s a good mod for realism, though.
- NPCC & NPCC Retail – Allows you more control over NPCs in the game, such as how many are generated and which Sims are used for roles. The public version hasn’t been updated, so I can no longer recommend it.
Romance & Relationships Mods
These mods impact romance and relationships in the game.
- IR Divorce – Ask for a divorce and file divorce papers to get your Sims out a marriage.
- NEW IR Cheating – An overhaul of the game’s jealousy system making it better and adding more depth. This mod requires XML Injector.
- Wonderful Whims – Offers plenty of social, relationship, and pregnancy enhancements in forms of Attractiveness, Impressions, Personality Archetypes, Menstrual Cycle, Birth Control and many more. It’s wicked whims without the “wicked” parts. I love the realism this adds to my game, especially the “attraction.” Now you will know who your Sim is attracted to. Disable any parts you don’t like. See my review of this mod here.
User Interface (UI) Mods
These are mods that change or modify the game’s user interface.
- Expandable Build/Buy Catalog – This mod allows you to expand the catalog in build and buy mode like you could in Sims 2 and 3.
- More CAS Columns – Allows for more columns in CAS. I use the 4 column version, but there is also a 3- and 5-column version.
These mods impact the University experience in some way.
- Shorter University Degrees – Makes university degrees require less credits to graduate.
- University Required Degree for Promotions – Sims can take a job in any career but can only advance so far without the correct degree.
These are the default replacements I’m currently using in my game:
- Eyes #15 by Aveira Sims – These are broken and you’ll have to fix them yourself using the default replacement fixer listed in the Tools section below.
- Papillion Skin – Works as of the December 2020 update.
- Kijiko Eyelashes – These are not technically default replacements, but I use them to remove and replace the Maxis eyelashes.
- Zerbu’s Presets – Again, not technically defaults, but I use these with my defaults in CAS to make unique Sims. Provides a TON more presets for face shape, noses, cheeks, lips, eyes, etc.
Sims 4 Tools
These are not really mods, but various tools and programs I use to improve my gameplay.
- Default Replacement Fixer – I used this tool to fix the broken default replacement eyes I wanted to use. Also works for makeup, skin, and other defaults broken by patches.
- World Renamer Tool – Allows you to rename the worlds to anything you like. Requires using Sims 4 Studio.
As always, please let me know if you find any broken links or mods that have been removed and I will update the list.