Need to change your Sim’s first or last name in the Sims 2? I’ll show you how to do it in a few different ways.
The first method is using Sim PE. If you can’t or don’t want to use Sim PE, mods such as Last Name Copier, Sim Blender, or FFS Lot Debugger allow you to change names. If you just need to change a Sim’s first name, you can do it with in-game cheats by spawning the Tombstone of L & D. However, you’ll need either Sim PE or a mod to change last names.
Use the table of contents to jump directly to the instructions you want.
Table of Contents
- Changing Names with Sim PE
- Changing Names with Last Name Copier
- Changing First Names with Cheat
- Changing Names with Sim Blender
- Changing Household Name
Changing Names with Sim PE
- If you’ve never used Sim PE before, download it from here. Unzip the folder to your documents or somewhere safe – doesn’t matter where. I keep mine in a special Sims 2 folder in my documents.
- Open the folder and double-click on the application. It looks like this:
- Now, from the top menu bar, select Tools > Neighborhood > Neighborhood Browser OR press Ctrl + Shift +N on your keyboard.
- When the Neighborhood Browser appears, select the one where your Sim lives and click “Open.”
- Wait until the ‘hood completely loads. You’ll know it’s done when the “Resource List” window is populated. It may take a while if you have a lot of data in your ‘hood.
- From the top menu bar, select Tools > Neighborhood > Sim Browser OR press Ctrl + Shift + S on your keyboard.
- When the Sim Browser opens, click the checkbox next to “Playables” if your Sim is a playable. If the Sim you’re looking for is a townie or NPC, click the corresponding check box to display all Sims of that type.
- Scroll through until you find the Sim who’s name you want to change. Select the Sim and click “Open.”
IMPORTANT NOTE: You can change the names of deceased Sims using this method by checking the “Uneditable” checkbox. DO NOT edit unsafe NPCs listed here (Crumplebottom, Father Time, etc.)
- An overview of the Sim will open in the bottom window. If you don’t see anything, make sure you are in the “Plugin View” tab.
- Enter the name change for your Sim. You can change first name, last name, or both names here.
- Click the “Commit” button. Then click “Save” to save your changes.
- Repeat steps 6-11 for any additional Sims who need their names changed.
Changing Names with Last Name Copier Mod
This method requires downloading and installing the Last Name Copier. If you don’t know how to install mods, you can find a tutorial on Mod the Sims. Once you’ve successfully downloaded and installed the mod, continue with the instructions below.
Please Note: This mod is compatible with all game configurations for changing first names. However, you will need the Ultimate Collection or any one of the following expansion packs to change last names: Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Freetime.
- Open your game, load the lot of the Sim who’s name you want to change, go into buy mode, and navigate to deco > wall hangings in the catalog. The Last Name Copier looks like the Arghist Soldier painting and costs $0. It should be located at the very beginning of your catalog:
- Place the painting anywhere on your lot. It doesn’t matter where. You’ll delete it when you’re done.
- With the Sim who’s name you want to change selected, click on the painting. Select “Edit” and then choose to “Change Last Name,” “Change First Name,” or “Change First and Last Name.”
- A dialog box will appear and you can make the necessary changes. It’s the same naming box that appears when a baby is born.
NOTE: If you select “Change Last Name” the dialog box will be the same one for changing first name. Type the last name you want instead. Don’t name your Sim “Jeremy Jeremy” like I did.
- Repeat for any additional Sims. You can delete the painting when you’re done.
Changing First Names with Cheat
You can change a Sim’s first name without any outside programs or mods using an in-game cheat to spawn the Tombstone of Life and Death.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + C to open up the cheat console. Then type in “boolprop testingcheatsenabled true” without the quotes and press enter. This will enable testing cheats.
- Now hold down Shift and right-click on your Sim. A special menu will appear. Select “Spawn” and then “Tombstone of L and D.”
- A tombstone will appear in front of your Sim. Yours will probably look different than the picture below because I’m using a default replacement for my tombstones. Click on the tombstone and choose “More” and then “Rename Sim.”
- The name dialogue box will appear. Make your changes here.
- Repeat for any additional Sims. Delete the tombstone when you’re done.
Changing Names with Sim Blender
Sim Blender is my favorite mod for The Sims 2 and one that I can’t live without. It also has a renaming function that allows you to change a Sim’s first name and/or copy a first name to a last name. You could technically change both first and last names this way. Here’s how:
- Download and install the Sim Blender. Open your game and load any lot currently occupied by Sims. It doesn’t have to be the lot of the Sim who’s name you’re changing.
- Go to buy mode and navigate to miscellaneous > miscellaneous in the catalog. The Sim Blender looks like a ficus tree and costs $10. Place it down anywhere on the lot.
- Click on the Sim Blender and select “More,” and then “Names.” You now have the option to change someone’s first name or copy a first name to a last name.
- If you select “Change Someone’s First Name” a box will appear that contains ALL the Sims in your current neighborhood (the same one that appears when you call a Sim). Choose the Sim you want and change their name as you like.
- If you want to change a last name using this method, it’s a bit more tedious. First, change the Sim’s first name to whatever you want their last name to be. Next, copy their first name to their last name. And finally, change their first name back again. A few extra steps – but it works!
- Repeat for any additional Sims. You can delete the Sim Blender when you’re done or keep it around on the lot for other uses.
NOTE: The FFS Lot Debugger (also known as the Batbox) has similar functionality for renaming. Use it to change a first name or copy a first name to a last name. You’ll need to Shift + Click on the debugger to get the option to “Rename Sim” and you’ll need to have the Sim who’s name you want to change selected. It doesn’t allow you to select any Sim in the neighborhood like the Blender.
Also, thanks to my helper Sim, Jeremy Burke – now Jeremy Jeremy – from Fairplay. Don’t worry. I changed his name back.
Changing Family (Household) Name
To change the household or family name – the name that appears when you hover over the lot in Neighborhood view – you’ll need to use Sim PE. I won’t write down all the steps here because I made a video tutorial on the process. I’ve included it below:
Those are all the methods I know of to change a Sim’s first and/or last name in The Sims 2. If you know of any other mods or methods that I’m missing please leave a comment below and let me share!
If you enjoyed this post, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog! Just enter your email address in the sidebar and you’ll be notified every time I make a new post. Thanks for stopping by!